Students Parents Community Staff
2010 Measure A - Parcel Tax
2015 Measure A - Parcel Tax
Adult School
Board of Education
Complaint Policies
Educational Partners
Facility Rentals
Parcel Tax
School Impact Fees
Student Fees
Health Council
Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)
Public Records Request
Research & Evaluation
Strong Schools Bond
Youth Community Service
School Impact Fees
The Board of Education of Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) passed a resolution to collect school impact fees on new residential and commercial construction within District boundaries. Fees are used only for construction and reconstruction of school facilities. As of July 21, 1996, the City of Palo Alto withholds building permits until PAUSD has certified that school impact fees have been paid.

Procedure for Paying the Fee
  1. When you apply for a building permit, the city of Palo Alto, the county of Santa Clara, or the town of Los Altos Hills (depending on where you live), will verify the square footage of your proposed project and issue a School Impact Fee Compliance Form.

  2. Take the form to:

    Palo Alto Unified School District—Business Services
    25 Churchill Avenue
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    Map to District Office
    Hours: 9 am - 4 pm weekdays

  3. PAUSD will calculate the amount of your impact fee based on the following:

    Residential development at $3.36 per sq. ft. assessable space
    Residential assessable space is defined as all square footage within the perimeter of a residential structure except for carports, walkways, garages, overhangs, patios, enclosed patios, detached accessory structures, or other coverage. Remodeled residential space with a net increase of less than 500 sq. ft. is exempt from school impact fees. Remodeled space with a net increase of more than 500 sq. ft. is assessed with the entire increase.

    Commercial development at $0.54 per sq. ft. assessable space Commercial assessable space is defined as all covered and enclosed space within the perimeter of a commercial structure except for incidental storage areas, garages, parking structures, unenclosed walkways, or utility or disposal areas. Fees are assessed on structures to be used for commercial or industrial purposes, most senior housing, adult-only mobile homes, and hotels and motels.

  4. When we have received your payment, the District will sign the School Impact Fee Compliance Form. Return this form to the appropriate Building Department to receive your building permit.
If you have questions, contact Thien Le at (650) 329-3938 or

Revised July 2012