Palo Alto High School
50 Embarcadero Rd.
Built in 1918, 1928, 1945, 1955, 1960, 1969, 1972, 1975, 2004
Palo Alto High School occupies an approximate 49-acres site across El Camino Real from Stanford University. The school is composed of 17 permanent buildings constructed between 1918 and 1975.
The original construction, in 1918, included the Administration & Classroom Building and the Auditorium Building. Much of the original administration/classroom structure was demolished in 1972, leaving the two-story portion referred to as the “Tower Building”. In 1928, the original Boys’ Gymnasium was constructed. The construction of the Industrial Arts Building was completed in 1945 and expanded to include an electronics classroom in 1955. The Boys’ Gymnasium was expanded in 1946 to provide locker and shower facilities and staff offices. In 1960, the Science Classroom Building was constructed. In 1968, an extensive renovation of the Administration Building, Auditorium, and the Boys’ Gymnasium were undertaken. The purpose of this project was the seismic retrofitting of these structures for increased earthquake safety. The addition of the Girls’ Gymnasium and the swimming pool was completed in 1969.
A major expansion of the school was undertaken in 1972 with the addition of seven new buildings including; the Fine and Performing Arts Building, the English Building, the Lecture Center, the Social Studies Building, the Foreign Language Building, the Mathematics and Science Technology Building, and Resource Materials Center. In 1975, a Student Activities Center and Woodshop were constructed. In 1998, following the Loma Prieta Earthquake, the Campanile of the Tower Building was separated from the building and strengthened. In 2004 a new Science Building was completed and the Science Building constructed in 1960 was removed from the campus interior. Renovations to Fine and Performing Arts Building, the English Building, the Lecture Center, the Social Studies Building, the Foreign Language Building, the Mathematics Building, Student Center and locker rooms in both gymnasiums were fully renovated under the Building for Excellence program from 2001.
Revised July 2011