Student achievement results are presented annually to the Board of Education in the fall of each year. These reports focus on the Strategic Plan goals as well as other measures.
Fall 2013 Assessment Reports
At the September 24, 2013 Board meeting, staff reported results from the 2013 Growth Academic Performance Index (API) and progress on Strategic Plan Goals 1, 2 and 3.
API Key Findings
Scores are flat for the District overall.
- Scores for socio-economically disadvantaged students, Students with Disabilities and African-American students improved
- PAUSD is making progress in closing the achievement gap and the opportunity gap.
- While the under-represented subgroups in PAUSD outperform their peers across the state, other top scoring K-12 districts had higher scores for these subgroups.
Key Findings from Strategic Plan Goals
- The District is making progress in reducing the achievement gap in English Language Arts (ELA). PAUSD’s greatest gains are in Elementary Math proficiency overall.
- Students made the greatest growth in Elementary Math (Year’s Progress).
- The number of students “not yet proficient” in English Language Art and Math has declined dramatically, nearly meeting the goal of reducing this number by 50% since 2008.
At the November 5, 2013 Board meeting, staff reported results from high school measures, including AP exams, SAT and the class of 2012 alumni survey.
Advanced Placement (AP) Key Findings
- The number of AP exams taken has gone up by 25% in the last six years, with a consistent 95% of students scoring 3 or higher.
SAT Key Findings
- SAT test takers increased from 715 students (2009) to 744 students (2013) in the last five years (4% increase), with the following changes:
–The mean score in critical reading went up from 626 to 637.
–The mean score in math went up from 664 to 673.
–The mean score in writing went up from 631 to 644
Alumni Survey Key Findings
- Students felt well prepared in math and English/Writing, but also wanted more preparation in writing (this comes up in comments specifically writing papers other than 5-paragraph essays).
- Science lab reports emerges from survey as an area of focus.
- Overall, our students felt well prepared to use technology.
- Balancing school work and social life is a challenge for students across the consortium.
Board Presentation Five-Year School Summary 2013 AP District Summary by School
District Summary by Student Demographics
Palo Alto High School Gunn High School
Class of 2012 Alumni Survey Results
Fall 2012 Assessment Reports
College Readiness Report
The achievement of high school students was presented at the Nov. 13, 2012 Board Meeting. The findings shared at this meeting are as follows:
We are closer to reaching both of our Strategic Plan College Readiness Goals.
- College enrollment is much higher than national trend for students in all subgroups
- Alumni report being prepared academically for college.
Class of 2011 Alumni Survey Summary Results | Class of 2011 Alumni Survey Data Results | Class of 2011 Alumni Survey – Administered to all districts in the 21st Century Consortium
Growth API Report - Advanced Placement - SAT Report
The achievement of high school students was presented at the October 23, 2012 Board Meeting. The findings shared at this meeting are as follows:
API Key Findings
- In 2012, PAUSD saw an increase in API from 926 (2011 Base API) to 934 (2012 Growth API), and is the highest API in the last six years.
- In 2012, PAUSD saw an increase in API across all numerically significant subgroups (n>100), with the greatest API gains across students who are Socio-economically Disadvantaged, Hispanic and English Learners.
- Over 80% (14 out of 17) of all PAUSD schools demonstrated an increase between their 2011 Base API and their 2012 Growth API. Note: Of the three that decreased, all are above an API Growth of 948.
- PAUSD continues to be one of the top ten K-12 school districts in the state (and the highest API with an enrollment of over 10,000 students).
- PAUSD schools are among the fifty top-performing schools in the state for elementary, middle and high school.
SAT Key Findings
- SAT test takers increased from 735 students to 799 students in the last five years. (8% increase), with the following changes:
- The mean score in critical reading went up from 625 to 635.
- The mean score in math went up from 661 to 668.
- The mean score in writing went up from 630 to 642.
- The SAT participation and performance went up across all subgroups.
AP Exams Key Findings
- The number of AP exams taken has gone up by 23% in the last five years, with a consistent 94% of students scoring 3 or higher.
- Nearly three-quarters of PAUSD’s seniors have taken and passed at least one AP exam before they graduate.
Henry M. Gunn High School Integrated Summary 2011-2012 | Palo Alto High School Integrated Summary | District Integrated Summary
Assessment Report: Progress Report on Strategic Plan Goals 1, 2, & 3
The September 04, 2012 Board report shares the following findings:
- More students are moving into Advanced proficiency levels
- Making progress towards achieving Strategic Plan Goals across all subgroups
- Making progress in closing the achievement gap and the opportunity gap
- Greatly reduced the number of students not proficient