|Parent Advisory Group Purpose
The current report card used to report student progress at grades K-5 is tied to the California State Content Standards. California is now one of 45 states that has adopted the Common Core Standards in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics. Palo Alto Unified School District is excited to transition to these standards and plans to fully implement these standards by the 2014-15 school year.
We are interested in developing a report card that reflects the California Common Core Standards and that effectively communicates student progress. The Elementary Report Card Committee made up of staff from across the District has been formed for that purpose.
The Parent Advisory Group to the Elementary Report Card Committee will:
- Share thoughts and ideas as to what you, as a parent, would most like to see in a report card for your elementary-aged student
- Review drafts of the report card throughout the year and provide input
- Seek input from other parents in your child’s school community as requested by the Elementary Report Card Committee
Parent Advisory Group members are expected to:
- Share their personal thoughts and ideas
- Listen to the ideas of other parents from your school’s community and represent those ideas at meetings
- Provide input as to how effectively the various draft versions of the report card communicate student progress to parents
Advisory Group Composition
The committee will include a minimum of two parent representatives from each cluster of schools (North, South and West). The ideal group will have one parent representative from each school. This group will be facilitated by the Director of Elementary Education. No more than one parent per school may serve on the Advisory Group.
Timeline for Report Card Committee
By August 30: Elementary Report Card Committee Members will be selected
September 30 – April 15: Committee works
May 6: Committee recommends final report card to the School Board
Parents interested in serving on the Parent Advisory Group to the Elementary Report Card Committee should submit their application online. Applications are due Monday, September 16th. Selected members will be notified via email by September 23rd.
Prospective advisory group members must be willing to attend meetings on tentative schedule. Meeting dates/times may be adjusted to ensure we meet deadlines.
If you have questions, contact Kathleen Meagher at (650) 329-3773 or email@example.com.
Revised January 2014