The Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) recognizes that students do their best academically, socially and emotionally when they feel safe and connected in school. Given this, the PAUSD established the Safe and Welcoming School Task Force in May 2013 to develop recommendations regarding training and curricula; tools to help clarify reporting of bullying, actions to be taken and timelines; resources; and optimal strategies for engaging parents and students in the collective work of safe and inclusive schools. The task force was structured to be a small and short-term work group that created initial recommendations to be handed off to a District Climate Committee.
The PAUSD District Climate Committee’s purpose is to consider the recommendations of the task force, including:
- Improve parent and student engagement in safe and welcoming schools efforts;
- Coordinate activities and initiatives relative to safe schools work;
- Assist the district in creating clear channels of communication with parents and the larger community.
The Safe and Welcoming Schools, District Climate Committee will meet quarterly for one year to:
- Learn about district efforts to create a safe and welcoming school climate and suggest ways in which to better share this information with the public;
- Provide suggestions to better coordinate safe and welcoming school efforts across the district;
- Provide suggestions on how to more effectively involve parents and students in safe and welcoming schools endeavors.
The committee includes a minimum of one (1) parent for each school level (elementary, middle and high school). The ideal group has one (1) parent representative from each school level that represents the diversity of the Palo Alto parent community. The group will be facilitated by the Student Services Coordinator and will include key district, parent and community stakeholders.
District Climate Committee Meetings:
- District Climate Committee meets monthly at the District Office from 5:00pm to 6:30pm on the following dates:
- September 15, 2014
- October 6, 2014
- November 10, 2014
- December 15, 2014
- January 5, 2014
- February 2, 2014
- March 16, 2014
- April 27, 2014
- June 1, 2014
District Climate Committee Expectations:
- Attend meetings on the dates outlined above
- Share thoughts and ideas to further the work of the committee
- Listen to the ideas of other parents from their school community and represent those ideas at meetings
Brenda Carrillo, Coordinator of Student Services
If you have questions, contact Brenda Carrillo at (650) 329-3769 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revised February 2014